Vegan Double Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Centre
This vegan double chocolate cake with marshmallow filling is full of chocolate-y goodness and it's beautifully moist and decadent. Feed this incredible cake to all your picky family members and they will NEVER notice that it's dairy free, eggless and completely animal product free.
It’s time for some more baking! I recently put out a poll over on Instagram to find out what type of recipes you would like to see more of and 93% of you wanted more baked recipes! So here I am with a baked, but not so healthy decadent double chocolate cake. Best thing about this one is the marshmallow filing! There’s no holding back on the fat and sugar on this Double Chocolate Marshmallow cake, but sometimes it’s nice to indulge in the occasional treat right?
This cake is full of chocolate-y goodness and it’s beautifully moist and decadent. A great way to spoil your loved ones over the holidays without hurting any animals in the process. Feed this indulgent cake to all your picky family members and they will NEVER notice that it’s dairy free, egg free and completely animal product free.
And if you think it looks tempting from the outside, just wait until you cut into this baby and reveal the creamy marshmallow layer!
When choosing which marshmallows to use for the filling, make sure that you look for a brand that’s vegan friendly. A lot of marshmallows contain gelatin, which is made from the skins of pigs and cows or from animal bones. A lot of the brands which are marked “vegetarian” are often suitable for vegans, but it’s worth double checking the ingredients if you’re not sure.
WARNING! This recipe makes a LOT of cake (of course that’s a good thing you say). But if you are catering to a smaller group it will work perfectly if you half the ingredients and use smaller pans to bake the cakes in.
TOP TIP: If you’re chocolate icing gets too stiff in the fridge, simply add it to your high speed blender with a little drop of plant milk and whizz it up until smooth.
MORE VEGAN CHOCOLATE RECIPES
Vegan Double Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow
This cake is full of chocolate-y goodness and it's beautifully moist and decadent. A great way to spoil your loved ones over the holidays without hurting any animals in the process. Feed this indulgent cake to all your picky family members and they will NEVER notice that it's dairy free, egg free and completely animal product free.
- 2 x 9" springform cake pans
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 cups soft brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups soft vegan butter room temperature
- ½ cup vegan-friendly chocolate
- 800 ml vanilla soya milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan-friendly chocolate
- 2 cups icing sugar sifted
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- ¼ cup vanilla soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150 g vegan marshmallows
- 3 tbsp vanilla soya milk
- 1 cup raspberries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- For the batter, mix the soya milk and apple cider vinegar together and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Sieve the flour, cacao powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix to combine.
- Make sure the butter is soft and at room temperature. Add it to the dry ingredients and rub the vegan butter into the dry ingredients to form a crumb consistency.
- Lastly add the soya milk mixture and the melted chocolate to the dry ingredients and whisk to ensure there are no visible lumps.
- Cut 2 circles of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your 2 cake tins and place them into the base of the tins to prevent the cake from sticking. You can also rub some of the vegan butter along the sides of the tins to prevent the cakes from sticking to the sides and make removing them from the tins much easier!
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. After 25 minutes, check they are done by sticking a clean knife into the centre of the cakes. If the knife comes out clean, the cakes are ready. If the knife has batter on the sides, allow them to bake further.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the ingredients until smooth. (Use an electric beater if you have one)
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to get slightly thicker.
- For the filling simply heat the soya milk and marshmallows in a sauce pan until melted.
- Spread the mixture on top of one of the cakes evenly.
- Sandwich the second cake onto of the first and coat the entire cake with the chocolate frosting using a spatula.
- This cake will store well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. Alternatively you can cut and freeze it in sections and defrost them before serving.