Creamy dairy free banana ice cream sandwiched between gluten free chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. This is the perfect summer dessert to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. This recipe is a paid collaboration with NutShed, all views are my own
I love combining the savoury and sweet flavours of the crunchy peanut butter, rich chocolate chips and simple banana ice cream. Then there is the texture combination of the chewy chocolate chip cookies, a little crunch from the peanut butter and the creamy vegan ice cream. This vegan ice cream sandwich recipe truly has it all! You have to try them and let me know if you love them as much as I do. P.S If you’re looking for something savoury, check out another delicious collab recipe with NuShed, my Vegan Summer Rolls with Harissa Peanut Sauce.
I used NutShed Very Crunchy Peanut Butter in the vegan chocolate chip cookies. It adds the perfect complimentary flavour to the dairy-free banana ice cream. And the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe makes this delightful vegan dessert safe to share with your gluten sensitive friends!
WHERE DID COOKIE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES ORIGINATE FROM?
The original “chipwich” seems to be where the cookie ice cream sandwich trend originated from. It was created by Americans Richard LaMotta and Sam Metzger in New York City back in 1978. The chipwich is an ice cream sandwich consisting vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chips which are rolled around the outer edges of the ice cream.
With a little preparation, these vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches are so easy to put together! I use simple ingredients for both the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe and the creamy dairy-free ice cream recipe, which makes these recipes great on their own as in a homemade ice cream sandwich!
WHAT IS THE COOKIE OF THESE VEGAN ICE CREAM SANDWICHES MADE OF?
- Banana: you’ll need the ripe spotty type for this recipe, greenish hard bananas won’t cut it.
- Soft brown sugar: coconut sugar also works really well for these cookies!
- Crunchy peanut butter: I use NutShed Very Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Vanilla extract: always add a little vanilla, it enhances sweetness and adds flavour!
- Baking soda: this is the leavening agent for this recipe, as it releases carbon dioxide when baked creating a soft cookie.
- Sea salt: as always, adding salt to the cookies helps to balance the sweetness and enhance that peanut butter flavour
- Ground almonds: we’re using ground almonds in place of regular flour in this recipe. This not only helps with the texture and flavour, but also keeps this cookies suitable for coeliacs are gluten intolerant folks!
- Vegan chocolate chips: you can also just use vegan dark chocolate cut into chunks.
3 INGREDIENT VANILLA ICE CREAM
That’s right, the ice cream centre of these cookies is made with three simple ingredients, it couldn’t be easier!
- Bananas: again, they need to be super ripe and spotty as this is when bananas are at their sweetest and make the creamiest ice cream base.
- Coconut cream: you can also use full fat coconut milk from a can. This gives the coconut vanilla layers a lovely creamy consistency.
- Vanilla bean paste: I recommend using vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract as the flavour really comes through in this ice cream recipe. You’ll also get those wonderful vanilla specs!
CAN THESE COOKIE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
These ice cream sandwiches are best served on the day they’re made for a nice soft cookie consistency. So I recommend that you only assemble as many as you will serve. If you’re not serving them all at once, you can still make the individual elements of the recipe in advance. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, and the ice cream kept separately in the freezer until ready to serve.
MORE VEGAN ICE CREAM RECIPES
MORE VEGAN COOKIE RECIPES
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe I’d love to hear how it went! Be sure to leave a comment below and if you love the recipe please give it a rating too! This will help get the recipe seen by more eyes here on google.
I also love sharing your work on my social media, so be sure to tag me on your Instagram posts and stories using @addictedtodates and #addictedtodates so that I can share your pictures on my stories.
Lastly, you can leave a picture and a comment on Pinterest so we can all see one another’s creations!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 4 large ripe bananas (6 small)
- 1 cup coconut cream/chilled full fat canned coconut milk (use only the thick part from the top of the can)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup soft brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter I use NutShed Very Crunchy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 3.5 oz vegan chocolate chips or dark chocolate cut into chunks
THE NIGHT/DAY BEFORE
- The night/day before, slice the bananas into coins and place in a reusable container or ziplock bag. Freeze overnight.
- Remove the frozen banana from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place the banana slices in your food processor or high speed blender along with the coconut cream/milk and vanilla bean paste and blend until smooth, starting at a low speed and working up to a more powerful setting as the frozen banana begins to break down.
- Transfer the banana soft serve to a 6x6 inch deep baking tray or lunch box (you can use any container as long as it’s the right size to cut out 4 ice cream discs with a round cookie cutter that’s slightly smaller in diameter than the size of the cookies.
- Place back in the freezer for 1½-2 hours to set.
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F) and line the base of a baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Add the banana to a large bowl and mash well using a fork.Add the soft brown sugar/coconut sugar, peanut butter, vanilla extract, baking soda and sea salt and mix using an electric whisk or stand mixer for about 30 seconds until combined. Add the ground almonds to the bowl and use your hand to knead it into the dough. Lastly, add the chocolate chunks to the bowl and mix until evenly incorporated (hold aside a couple of chunks to add to the top of the cookies if desired).
- Separate the cookie dough into 8 sections and roll into balls using your hands. Place the cookie dough balls on the lined baking sheet (leaving 2 inches between each portion).Use your hands to press and flatten the dough balls into cookie shaped discs. Add any remaining chocolate chunks to the top of each cookie.
- Bake between 10-11 minutes until the cookies have slightly browned. Remove the tray from the oven and while hot, use a large round cookie-cutter and go in circular motions around each cookie to create a clean edge. Allow the cookies sit on the baking tray to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Next carefully slide the sheet of parchment paper with the cookies off of the tray and on to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool for at least 30 minutes or until they reach room temperature.
- Line a tray or large plate (that will fit in your freezer) with some parchment paper. Place 4 of the cookies on the tray, bottom side up. Use a cookie cutter that’s slightly smaller in diameter to the cookies to cut out 4 discs of ice cream. Place a disc of ice cream on top of one cookie and top with another cookie*.
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer for up to 2 hours.
- *Note: these ice cream sandwiches are best served on the day they’re made for a nice soft cookie consistency. It’s therefore recommended that you only assemble as many as you will serve. If you’re not serving them all at once, the cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, and the ice cream kept separately in the freezer until ready to serve.