Delicious Vietnamese inspired fresh summer rolls filled with glazed tempeh, fresh vegetables, aromatic herbs and served with a smoky and sweet harissa peanut butter dipping sauce. These vegan summer rolls are perfect for summer and bringing to a garden party!
This recipe is a paid collaboration with NutShed, all views are my own
This recipe was made in collaboration with my friends over at NutShed who are a small Irish women owned business specialising in high quality, delicious peanut butters. The founders Evie and Eliza are so passionate about their ingredients, and they use the really special Cordoba runner peanuts which gives an amazingly smooth and creamy peanut butter. Evie and Eliza asked me to create recipes for their new range of peanut butters, so there will be lots more peanut butter inspired recipes hitting the blog in the coming weeks!
These Vietnamese inspired vegan summer rolls are the perfect fresh and delicious recipe for your garden party or to bring along to a barbecue. They are refreshingly light and crunchy yet satiating all at once thanks to the high protein content of tempeh. A really tasty way to serve these summer rolls is with some delicious harissa peanut butter dipping sauce, which is just the right combination of sweet, sour, umami and with a touch of heat!
Thought to have originated in China, spring rolls were named so due to using fresh spring vegetables. In Vietnam, summer rolls are eaten cold filled with a medley of crunchy vegetables, rice noodles and some form of protein. What a delicious invention!
WHAT INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED TO MAKE THESE VEGAN SUMMER ROLLS?
Here is my take on this delicious and versatile dish, served with a twist – that delicious smoky harissa sauce.
SUMMER ROLLS WITH GLAZED TEMPEH
- Tempeh: tempeh is one of my favourite things in the world, but if you consider yourself more of a tofu lover feel free to swap them out for one another. Or why not be a complete rebel and go for a bit of both?! The tempeh is fried off in some sesame oil until golden brown, which also gives it a really yummy flavour. it’s then glazed with some tamari and pure maple syrup for some savoury and sweet umami deliciousness.
- When it comes to veggies, you can get as creative as you’d like here (or lets face it, as creative as what you’ve got in your fridge!). My go to veggies for summer rolls include carrot, red bell pepper and cucumber. I love this combination as they add delicious fresh flavours as well as a rainbow colour palette!
- And where you can really get creative is with some fresh aromatic herbs or edible flowers such as pansies or violas. Whatever ingredient you put down first in the spring rolls will be visible so you can make these look really pretty too!
- Thin rice noodles: rice vermicelli (as well as being delicious) help to add structure to these summer rolls. You could also use jasmine/basmati rice in them if you prefer.
- Rice paper: this can be found in Asian speciality shops or in larger supermarkets.
- NutShed’s harissa chilli peanut butter is a real winner when it comes to spicing up your savoury dishes. The harissa addition gives a delicious twist to regular peanut butter dipping sauce.
- Tamari: using tamari keeps this recipe gluten-free, but you can sub it for soya sauce if you aren’t avoiding gluten.
- Pure maple syrup: this adds sweetness which perfectly compliments those other flavours and sour and umami notes.
- Lime juice: freshly squeezed lime juice adds just the right amount of “zing” to these peanut butter dipping sauce.
- Hot water: a little hot water helps to emulsify the fat and water to create a deliciously smooth dipping sauce.
THESE VIETNAMESE INSPIRED FRESH SUMMER ROLLS ARE:
- Fresh and light
- Flavourful and colourful
- Perfect for BBQs and garden parties
Why not choose from these 25 Vegan Summer Dessert Recipes to finish off your summer garden party or BBQ!
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
If you tried this recipe I’d love to hear how it went! Be sure to leave a comment below and if you love the recipe please give it a rating too! This will help get the recipe seen by more eyes here on google.
I also love sharing your work on my social media, so be sure to tag me on your Instagram posts and stories using @addictedtodates and #addictedtodates so that I can share your pictures on my stories.
Lastly, you can leave a picture and a comment on Pinterest so we can all see one another’s creations!
Vegan Summer Rolls with Harissa Peanut Sauce
- 7 oz tempeh
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soya sauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 small carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cucumber
- handful fresh coriander or edible flowers
- 3.5 oz thin rice noodles cooked
- 8 sheets rice paper
- 4 tbsp harissa chilli peanut butter I use NutShed
- 2 tbsp tamari or soya sauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Slice the tempeh into long strips (at least 8 pieces).
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan, once nice and hot add in the tempeh and cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Add the tamari and maple syrup and cook on a medium heat for another minute or two to evenly glaze the tempeh. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Peel the carrot and cucumber. Slice the carrot, red pepper and cucumber into thin long strips.
- Boil some water and add it to a large bowl, allow to cool for a few minutes. Add a rice paper to the bowl and soak it for 5 minutes. Place the rice paper on a clean cutting board.
- Add some flowers or herbs (whichever ingredient you want to remain visible in the summer rolls). Followed by a little cooked rice noodles, a strip of glazed tempeh and a couple strips of each of the raw veggies. Fold in the 2 outer edges of the rice paper and fold over one half, tucking it under the ingredients. Roll up and set aside.
- Repeat this with the remaining rice paper rolls.
- Add the harissa peanut butter, tamari, maple syrup and lime juice to a bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients. Add the hot water and whisk again, this helps to emulsify the ingredients to create a nice smooth dipping sauce.
- Serve immediately.